Thursday, May 22, 2008

Hearing Tests - Round Two

Yesterday Daniel had his second round of hearing tests at CHOP. We made an early appointment so we had to get the kids up early. We got Leah up without a problem. She wasn't happy, but she was up. I went into Daniel's room and turned off his sound machine. Waited a few minutes. Nothing. Went back in and pulled up the shades. Bright light poured in over his crib. Nothing. Next Dave went in and rolled him over. He woke up, and then went back to sleep. So, I got the camera and decided to take some sleeping photos. I always wanted to do it but was afraid I'd wake him. I flashed in his face about 6 times. Nothing. Boy this boy can sleep when we don't want him to! He finally got up. Also not a happy camper. Within a few minutes and a cup of Froot Loops in his hand and all was well with the world.

The audiologist repeated some of the tests we did a few weeks ago. We also did a new one we have been practicing at home. Daniel has to place an object (they used plastic balls) next to his ear. When he hears the sound (coming from earphones in his ears), he has to place the ball in the basket in front of him. He did well for awhile. Then decided it was more fun just to start throwing the balls into the basket whenever he wanted. From what they could tell he did better yesterday than he did a few weeks ago. Well enough that they do not suggest putting aids on him yet.

We have to go back in three weeks for additional testing. Right now they are suggesting he be observed when he goes to school in the Fall to be sure he isn't missing anything. If the teacher and the IU feel he is missing a lot they may decide to put an FM amplifier in his class room. The teacher would wear a mic and it would basically make her voice more clear and louder.

That's about all for now. Leah graduates pre-school tomorrow. Cap& Gown, Pomp and Circumstance, procession down the aisle and all! I'm sure there will be tears. And lots of photos!!

Tune in :)



1 comment:

Steph said...

Congrats on a successful hearing test! That's great news!

Ian is a deep sleeper, too... we could march a parade through the halls and into his room and he won't wake up, but touch him even lightly and he's wide awake. I'll have to try to get some sleeping pics. That one of Daniel is just too cute! Makes me drowsy just looking at it! :-)

Our baby!

Our baby!