Thursday, July 17, 2008

Starfish



While reading other adoptive blogs this morning I came across one that hit me hard. This family was recently in China to adopt their son. They had the opportunity to visit the Starfish Foster Home .


They went to a local orphanage to choose 3 babies that would receive special care at the foster home. They had 12 infants that they had to choose from. Imagine having to choose whose life you may possibly save. I could never do it. I would not want to be in that situation. You can read the family's blog here. It is long but worth it:


http://dobsondaily.blogspot.com/2008/07/starfish-throwing.html


Many of the children are cleft affected like Daniel. These infants are brought to the orphanages VERY weak. Many do not make it. The little baby in this family's blog was one who did not. (see update here - http://dobsondaily.blogspot.com/2008/07/zai-jian-aubrie-july-4th.html) It is heart breaking.


When we received Daniel, they gave us an entire journal of his life in the orphanage. When he arrived he was very weak. He ended up in the hospital for at least 2 weeks when he was 1 month old. He fought his illness and gained strength to continue. He was a fighter. Daniel was very fortunate. Many orphans in China do not have this opportunity. I thank God he did.

No comments:

Our baby!

Our baby!